Top Facts About Champions League
The Champions League, officially known as the UEFA Champions League, is an annual continental club football competition. It is organized by the Union of European Football Associations or UEFA. Top football clubs from various countries take part in this league and this is considered a major sporting event all across the world. Much to the joy of football enthusiasts, Champions League is bustling with a long list of interesting facts and anecdotes that you will love to know. So, if you have been busy playing indoor games like DominoQQ all this while, it’s time to get out of the virtual gaming world and take a look at the outdoor field. Here are some trivia about Champions League:
- The Champions League finals are one of the most watched annual sporting events in the world. The final match of 2012-13 between Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich was aired across 200 nations and has the highest TV rating till date.
- The most successful team in the UEFA Champions League is the Real Madrid Club. It has won 13 times in the tournament, including the one held most recently in 2018. They also won the initial 3 consecutive years of the tournament.
- The Champions League anthem was arranged by Tony Britten. The chorus consists of 3 official languages of the UEFA viz., English, German and French.
- Any team that wins the Champions League title for 3 or 5 consecutive years can have a full-sized replica of the trophy for keeps. Real Madrid, Ajax, Bayern Munich, Milan, Liverpool, and Barcelona are the clubs which have won this honor. The original trophy is always retained by the UEFA.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is the first player to score a goal in 3 Champions League finals – once for Manchester United in 2008, and twice for Real Madrid in 2014 and 2017.
- The maximum number of victories has been scored by Spanish Clubs, amounting to 15 in total. They are followed by English and Italian clubs, with 12 victories each.